Start of Fall High School Sports Season Delayed
In what might seem contradictory, a decision by the Maine Principal Association's Interscholastic Management Committee acting on recommendations from the MPA’s Sports Medicine Committee to delay the start of the Fall High School Sport's Season is a POSITIVE one
.In a email that MDI High School Bunky Dow sent out to Trojan Coaches and approved to be shared here he stated
Fall season starting date will begin on Tuesday, September 8. I do know the soccer committee is reducing the season to 10 countable contests and football is going to play 6 games in seven weeks and then start the postseason. Other fall sports have yet to be determined at this time.
The postseason is still being worked on at this time by the fall sports committees (Golf, Volleyball, and XC)
Here is a bulleted list of decisions made July 21st to hopefully support schools in their return to school and sports.
- At the July 21, 2020 Interscholastic Management Committee meeting with the hopes of being able to offer all fall activities, the committee voted to delay the start of the fall sports season until Tuesday, September 8, 2020. Schools in Aroostook County may adjust the opening day based on the harvest break but should not begin pre-season workouts prior to August 17, 2020. This move will allow districts to work on their Return to School Plan without the worry of starting fall sports.
- Phase III of the MPA Summer Guidelines for all sports will now be in effect from August 3 – August 23, 2020. Details are currently being developed.
- Phase IV of the MPA Summer Guidelines, for fall teams only, will run from August 24 – September 7, 2020. Details are also currently being developed and will be focused on conditioning of fall athletes.
- Schools and leagues are encouraged to develop regional schedules whenever possible.
- The fall sports committees will determine the maximum number of countable games for the shortened fall season.
- The fall pre-season following Phase IV will be reduced from three weeks to two weeks with the first countable contest no earlier than 3:00 pm on Friday, September 17, 2020.
- For the 2020-2021 school year the Completion of Season Rule that requires a team that does not complete their season to be ineligible for varsity play for two seasons has been waived.
- Knowing that some schools may be affected by the Covid-19 Virus, schools will be allowed to adjust their schedules during the season.
- Each fall sport committee will be developing rules modifications for their individual sports in conjunction with the NFHS recommendations.
- With the hope that we will have a fall sports season, each fall sport committee will be determining post-season play for that activity.