Bar Harbor 4th of July [SCHEDULE]
Bar Harbor is a great place to be on the 4th of July! Here are a list of activities taking place on Thursday, July 4th, 2019 along with some helpful tips!
- Parking is at a premium! Try to take the fare free Island Explorer if at all possible. They run a special schedule on the 4th of July. You can click here to see the schedule!
- Don't get a ticket or have your car towed! Nothing ruins a holiday than coming back to your car and either not finding it or finding a ticket on it! Parking is free today thanks to an emergency meeting of the Bar Harbor Town Council! Also, there is NO PARKING in the Newport Drive Parking Lot (Between Agamont Park and the Bathrooms) after 12 Noon. To read more click HERE
- Bring sunscreen and some water! The extended forecast for July 4th for Downeast Maine calls for mostly sunny skies with highs in the mid 70's
- Come with patience! There will be a lot of people in Bar Harbor. Let the kids sit up front for the parade. Bring a bag for the candy as there is a lot of candy thrown into the crowds. Don't run out into the parade route! Having driven radio station vans in parades there's nothing worse than having a child run out in the middle of the road to pick up a piece of candy!
- One of the best places to watch the fireworks is Agamont Park. Get there early, set up a blanket and enjoy the music leading up to the fireworks.
- Leave your dog at home! Bar Harbor is very dog friendly, but there will be lots of people and dogs don't do well with fireworks!
- Have patience getting off the Island after the fireworks are over! Police officers will be directing traffic. Follow the map below to exit efficiently
Here's a list of the events!
6AM Blueberry Pancake Breakfast
Bar Harbor (MDI) Rotary Club, Bar Harbor Athletic Field, Park Street. Blueberry or plain pancakes, sausage, juice, milk, and coffee. A fun morning feast for the whole family, and a great way to fuel up for the day ahead! All proceeds from the event support local nonprofits. Purchase your tickets in advance.
7:30 AM - 2:30 PM Bar Harbor Nonprofit Showcase
Bar Harbor (MDI) Rotary Club, Bar Harbor Athletic Field, Park Street. Multiple Maine nonprofits sell goods, raffle items, and provide information on their nonprofit organization.
9:00 AM - 3:00 PM Craft Fair/Marketplace
The Island Arts Association will hold a Craft Fair/Marketplace at the YMCA, 21 Park Street, featuring a wonderful selection of Maine crafts, including jewelry, quilts, photographs, pottery, and porcelain dolls. Please join us for this joint fundraiser for the YMCA and the YWCA. Please call the YWCA at 207-288-5008 for additional information.
10AM Independence Day Parade
One of the biggest 4th of July Parades takes place in Bar Harbor. Lasting a little over a hour, this year's theme is "Star Spangled Salute - A Celebration of Family, Fun & Freedom"
The parade steps off at 10 AM down by the Athletic fields and travels down Main Street and onto Cottage Street before heading to Mount Desert Street and down Ledgelawn Avenue. The parade typically lasts about a hour with all the floats and participants.
The Bar Harbor Police Department will close all roads that intersect with the parade route around 9:45 AM. Vehicles will not be able to drive or cross the route until the parade finishes, unless participating in the parade.
11AM Seafood Festival
Bar Harbor (MDI) Rotary Club, Bar Harbor Athletic Field, Park Street. Enjoy lobster, mussels, corn, lobster rolls, hot dogs, hamburgers, and more at the area’s largest seafood festival! All proceeds from the event support local nonprofits. Purchase your tickets in advance.
After the Parade, MDI YMCA Annual Lobster Races!
Bar Harbor Athletic Field, Park Street. Watch local businesses put their lobsters to the test in a high-speed crustacean contest where guts and determination will reign supreme. Proceeds benefit the MDI YMCA Scholarship Program. For more information 207-288-3511 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
12Noon-3:30 PM Music at the Town Pier.
Come place your blanket and enjoy the sunshine! Play a little frisbee! Watch the ocean and listen to me as I broadcast live on our sister station I-95 WWMJ with the best in classic rock!
3:30 PM - 9:00 PM Live Music @ Harborside Concert Series
Free concert series in Agamont Park leading up to the fireworks. With family-friendly tunes for dancing and listening as you wander by the harbor or stake out your seat for the fireworks! Produced by the Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce.
7:30-8:30 PM Bar Harbor Town Band
Free concert on the Bar Harbor Village Green, Main & Mt. Desert Streets. For over 100 years the Town Band, comprised of amateur musicians from around the region, has entertained thousands of locals and visitors.
9:15 PM (approx.) Fireworks Over Frenchman Bay
Enjoy the spectacular display on the waterfront, downtown Bar Harbor.