Safety Tips from the Bar Harbor Fire Department for the Winter Storm Friday-Saturday
The Bar Harbor Fire Department has issued the following safety tips as Downeast Maine prepares for Winter Storm Elliott set to lash Downeast Maine with hurricane force wind gusts and heavy rain Friday, December 3rd into Saturday the 24th!
- Be sure to have extra water on hand.
- Check your generators to ensure they are working properly and have fuel. Generators should be placed away from your house and any windows or in a well-ventilated area.
- Check the batteries on your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Find an alternative light source in case of a power outage (if you opt for candles, be sure they are extinguished before leaving the room).
- Charge any cell phones or landlines.
If you must travel, please be safe and follow these guidelines:
- Do not pick anything up off the road! The Bar Harbor Public Works, Fire, and Police Departments will work to safely remove any hazards.
- If roads are blocked and/or cones are out, the road is closed. Please follow these markings for your safety and the safety of those working.
- Use caution when traveling. There may be hazards as well as individuals working. Please report road hazards to Public Safety (207-288-3391).
If needed, The Bar Harbor Town Office will be a designated warming center.