List of Free, Fun, Family Friendly Activities July 12-18 in Downeast Maine
Things are starting to heat up, with more FREE, FUN and FAMILY FRIENDLY activities in Downeast Maine. Here's a list we have for events and activities taking place the week of July 12-18th. If you have events that you wish to add, please email them to me at email@example.com. This list will be published weekly, hopefully on Sundays in the future and updated as events are added during the week.
Monday, July 12
- Wendell Gilley Museum, Southwest Harbor - The Gilley turns 40 and you are invited to help them celebrate! Join them between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. for fun nature activities, art projects, music, and cupcakes. Free admission to all the festivities and the museum on July 12th! Let's party!
- Southwest Harbor Public Library - Maine Library Quest Website Treasure Hunt for Tweens & Teens The Southwest Harbor Public Library is proud to participate in Maine's first ever Library Quest. Tweens, teens, and their families can act as detectives, looking at library websites across the state of Maine for clues to solve a mystery: Who Stole the Honeybees? Search participating library websites for clues and add them to field journals. More details and prize info to come!
- Northeast Harbor Public Library - Family Concert on the Library Lawn.Music with Mr. Harley 10:30 a.m.
- Ellsworth Public Library - Lounge and Listen 3 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Join Miss Renee as she reads a fun chapter book. This event will be held outside, socially distanced, on the Library's lawn. Please bring your own blanket or chair.
Tuesday, July 13
- Ellsworth Public Library - Yoga on the Lawn 10:30 a.m to 11:30 a.m.BYOM ~ Bring your own Mat for Yoga on the Library Lawn with Genevieve M Billings RYT – 200, RCYT of Bala Bee Yoga! Story Time Yoga Includes: A story, creative playful movement, games to get the wiggles out, a mindful activity, breath work & yoga poses to compliment the featured book. Closing with a guided relaxation.Ideal for 3 – 9 year olds, all welcome & parents are encouraged to stay.Pre–Registration Required Call Keli at the Library 667–6363
- Bar Harbor - Open Table MDI Take Out Cafe- 4 p.m to 6 p.m. Offering FREE, healthy community meals in Bar Harbor, Maine. These meals are hosted at the Bar Harbor Congregational Church and are open to all.
- Northeast Harbor Public Library - 5:30 p.m. Outdoor Storytime with Ms. Robin
Wednesday, July 14
- Wendell Gilley Museum, Southwest Harbor- Fledgling Storytime with Miss Amanda from the Southwest Harbor Public Library at the Wendell Gilley Museum - Fun Flamingoes. 10:30 a.m. The Southwest Harbor Public Library and the Wendell Gilley Museum are teaming up for a Pre-K storytimes series taking place outside the Museum at 4 Herrick Road, Southwest Harbor. Librarian Amanda Crafts will enchant with songs, stories and art about birds. The program is free but please reserve your space. https://www.wendellgilleymuseum.org/events Families get to visit the Gilley afterwards for no charge.
- Ellsworth - First Congregational Church offers a free take-out meal available between 2:30 and 4 p.m. Please call the church by 3 p.m. on Wednesdays, 667-8321, to reserve a free meal. Enter the Church Street door located diagonally across from the Ellsworth Police Station.
- Northeast Harbor Public Library -Virtual Event Remarkable Journeys:The Evolution of cancer care from the Patients' Perspective 5:30 p.m. Registration for this event is through Northern Light. Please visit this link or call 973-5055 to register.
- Ellsworth - Ellsworth Concert Band - Harbor Park Schedule is Set-up and warm-up from 6:10- 6:30; Rehearsals: 6:30-7:00 and Concert 7:10-7:45
- Bar Harbor - Seaside Cinema (Dusk) - The Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce presents the 1st FREE Outdoor movie of the season in Agamont Park.Pack the bug spray, snacks, blankets and lawn chairs and get ready for a great night! This week's movie is "The Pirates! Band of Misfits"
Thursday, July 15
- Ellsworth Public Library - Family Story Time 10:30 a.m to 11:30 a.m. Join Miss Keli for silly songs and stories. This event will be held outside, socially distanced, on our lawn. Please bring your own blanket or chair. Bring home a fun make & take craft. *event will be cancelled for bad weather*
- Jesup Memorial Library -Summer Reading: "Bonjour Mon Ami: Stories, Song and Dance from the Maine Wood" with Gray Cox (Registration Required) 10:30 a.m to 11:30 a.m.This episode of Tales and Tails will invite kids to dance and sing along and take part in the telling of stories about moose tails, deer tales, cedars, lumberjacks and other creatures living in the Maine Woods. It will be a chance to learn some things about nature, about dealing with conflict with others, and about sometimes very funny solutions to what seem at first like big problems. The material includes original stories and songs by Gray Cox who grew up in Bar Harbor and for years performed with his brother locally as “The Cox Family Campfire”. (Gray also teaches philosophy, peace studies and language learning at College of the Atlantic and has recorded three albums of original songs available at www.graycox.bandcamp.com.) Contact Miss Mae to reserve your spot by calling 207-288-42425 or by email.
- Ellsworth Public Library - Caregiver's Support Group 2 to 3:30 p.m.Caregiving can get overwhelming quickly. Talking about the experience with others in similar situations can make a big difference. Caregiver support groups build confidence and help you gain skills to be the best caregiver you can be. Join the group on Zoom for conversation, education and support with Eastern Area Agency on Aging. Meets the third Thursday of every month. Please contact Sandy (firstname.lastname@example.org) to sign up.
- Jesup Memorial Library - Virtual Talk: Wendell Gilley Museum at 40 7 p.m to 8 p.m. Join the Wendell Gilley Museum Director Sean Charette for a virtual talk that explores the connections between people, nature and art and learn more about Wendell Gilley himself.
- Ellsworth Public Library - Move and Groove Storytime 10:30 a.m. Join Miss Jean for a playful and interactive storytime for ages 2-5! Explore your favorite children’s books (and find some new ones) through song, dance, and lots of creative movement! This event will be held outside, socially distanced, on our lawn. Please bring a blanket and wear comfortable clothing for the weather. Shakers and scarves will be provided, but you are welcome to bring your own.
- Milbridge- Gateway Milbridge is sponsoring Whiskey Bent with a live concert at the Milbridge Theatre Waterfront Stage on Friday, July 16th as the first of the Friday Night Live 2021 Concert Series.Whiskey Bent plays wonderful classic hits that make everyone want to dance and sing along. Music begins at 6:30 p.m. (Rain date for each performance will be Sunday). Bring a chair to enjoy the evening with us!The Milbridge Theatre Outdoor Stage is now located on the beautiful waterfront of the Milbridge Town Marina (Bayview Road in Milbridge)
- Jesup Memorial Library - 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Virtual Author Talk: Bill Carpenter "Silence" in Conversation with Carl Little Award-winning author William Carpenter examines the bitter legacy of 9/11 and terrorism in this ambitious novel about the nature of conflict and loss. Nick Colonna is a young veteran returning from Iraq to his hometown on the coast of Maine after an IED explosion killed the other members of his vehicle crew and left him deaf. Struggling with trauma, in a half-world between sanity and madness, Nick finds solace in memories of better times on nearby Amber Island: a private sanctuary owned by a Boston family and its illustrious patriarch, Marston Fletcher. The family is set on developing the island, much to the despair of the youngest Fletcher daughter: Julia, who stumbles upon Nick as he settles into becoming a worker on the island. As Nick battles his inner demons, Julia fights her family, and Amber Island faces demolition, Carpenter raises many questions about what survives carnage and loss, and where in a divided and chaotic world is there room for peace and silence.
Saturday, July 17
- Ellsworth Public Library - Books and Babies 10:30 to 11 a.m. - Join Miss Cheryl for stories, songs, rhymes, bounces, puppets and more. This event will be held outside, socially distanced, on the Library's lawn. Please bring your own blanket or chair. Event will be cancelled for bad weather
Ellsworth - Knowlton Park's Splash Pad is the place to cool off in Ellsworth!
The restroom facilities are open from 8AM to 9 PM. The changing rooms at Knowlton Park are open as well. Water in the Splash Pad will operate between 10AM and 8PM, everyday, unless the temperature falls below 65, which it will then automatically shut off until the temperature rises again.
Looking for somewhere that's kid friendly and FREE in Bar Harbor to cool off? The place to go is the Glen Mary Wading Pool! The Pool has a maximum depth of 2 feet and is open daily from 10AM to 8 PM. There is no lifeguard on duty, and children under 10 need to be accompanied by someone 14 and over. Pets are not allowed in the fenced in area. Food and beverage is allowed but not in the water. There are changing facilities
The Glen Mary Wading Pool is located at 11 Waldren Road. The easiest way to get there is to go on Park Street and go past the YMCA and cross Ledgelawn Avenue. At the end of the road turn right onto Glen Mary Road. At the end of the road turn left onto Waldren Road.
Handy Phone Numbers
Ellsworth Public Library - 207-667-6363
Southwest Harbor Public Library - 207-244-7065
Northeast Harbor Public Library - 207-276-3333