Significant Ice Event Tonight Into Tomorrow January 11-12
The National Weather Service is warning of a significant ice event to impact Downeast Maine and the Bangor area later tonight Saturday January 11th through Sunday January 12th. There is a winter weather advisory for parts of Downeast and an Ice Storm Warning for Bangor, Southern Penobscot and Interior Hancock and Central and Coastal Washington Counties
The Maine Emergency Management Association recommends the following
In the case of a power outage, citizens should contact their town office or call 2-1-1 for sheltering and warming center locations. Its also a good idea to take some steps to prepare at home as well:
- Stock up on emergency supplies such as non-perishable food, water, medication, pet supplies and other items needed in case it necessary to shelter at home.
- Have a "Go Bag" ready with essential supplies should it be necessary to go to a shelter or other location.
- Ensure that alternate heat and power sources are in proper working condition and properly installed.
- Download the free FEMA app to receive location-specific alerts and warnings as well as targeted preparedness information.
Those who are traveling should use extreme caution as roadways may be icy. If travel is necessary during this time, its important to remember the following:
- Leave early and allow extra time when traveling and, if possible, drive before dark.
- Pack an emergency kit in your car to include warm clothing, jumper cables, road flares, flashlight and batteries, food and water.
- Do not drive if you have been drinking.
- Fill your gas tank to avoid running out of gas and becoming stranded.
- Fill your windshield-wiper fluid to ensure you can keep your windshield clear.
- Remove all snow and ice from your vehicle before traveling.
- Charge your cell phone before traveling.
- Let others know where you will be traveling and when you expect to arrive at your destination.
You can check here for the latest Emera Maine power outages and restorations. We will have the latest information on our website