Man and Dog Escape Trailer Fire Thanks to Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Thanks to working detectors a man and his dog are alive Sunday, October 28th after a fire destroyed their trailer in Tremont.
According to the Tremont Volunteer Fire Department Facebook Page
The sounds of a Carbon monoxide detector woke a Tremont man early Sunday morning. The alarm alerted him to the flames that were erupting from the hose of a propane heater. Despite his efforts to put it out, the fire quickly spread to the wall and contents of the 24’ camper. When firefighters arrived, shortly after 5:30AM, the structure was consumed in flames. These large flames were contained shortly after the first engines arrived, with two pre connected 1.75 cross-lays and CAFS deployed from E4
Southwest Harbor Fire Department responded with to engine companies for assistance and MDFD was out on standby when a nearby mobile home was initially a concern. TFD and SwhFD firefighters overhauled and searched the contents but were unable to salvage many personal belongings.
The occupant credits the detector he had recently purchased for allowing him and his canine friend to escape the campers with non life threatening injuries.
Tremont Taker 2, Engines 4 and 5
Southwest Harbor Engines 103,113
Mount Desert Fire Department was asked to do station coverage for 1.5 hours while the two departments were on scene.
Note anyone needing a smoke detector or carbon monoxide detector or help installing them should contact their local fire department