Man Accused Of Shooting His Father In Hancock County
A Richmond man is facing charges for allegedly shooting his father at a camp in Hancock County.
23-year-old Christopher Laliberte is accused of firing his Glock 23 handgun at his father, David Laliberte, three times, during a fight at the family's camp in Township 8. One bullet struck David in the chest, at around 4:20 Sunday morning. He was taken by Life Flight helicopter to Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor.
WGME-TV reports that the argument started when Christopher woke his father shortly before 4 a.m. and demanded the keys to a gate because he wanted to leave. A police affidavit states that both men had been drinking intermittently since around 3:30 p.m. the day before. Officials say David Laliberte was afraid his son was intoxicated, and so refused to give him the keys, prompting a 30 minute long argument.
Braden Laliberte told police that his father finally told his brother, Christoper, that he was giving him 10 seconds to go to bed or he was coming downstairs. The affidavit states Christopher told his father that he had a gun. David then came down the loft stairs and Christopher allegedly opened fire.
Christopher told police he fired in self-defense, after backing away from his father who he says had previously smacked him in the head. He told investigators he was afraid his father was going to beat him, and that all he wanted to do was leave. He and other family members put David on a couch and tried to help him until the ambulance arrived.
State Police have said the evidence isn't consistent with where Christopher claims to have shot the gun. He's charged with Attempted Murder and Aggravated Assault and is being held at the Hancock County Jail on $50,000 bail. If convicted on the attempted murder charge, he faces up to 30 years in prison.