MDI Hospital’s 10 Fitness Tips [PHOTOS]
February is Heart Month, and MDI Hospital celebrated Friday, February 2nd with Wear Red Day. Some employees gathered wearing red, and then went into the Cardiac Care Rehab Unit for some exercise tips.
MDI Hospital offered these 10 Fitness Tips for Women but really, they apply to everyone.
- Consistency Is the Key - The best way to get in shape and stay in shape is to be consistent. Whatever exercise program you choose to do, the key to ensuring success is to do it consistently.
- Keep Track - Measuring yourself is a great way to keep track of your progress. Make sure to take your measurements before you start your exercise program and then continue to take them every month.
- Strengthen Your Core - Doing core strengthening exercises is an important part of a well rounded fitness program. The core helps with balance and stability and makes other physical activities easier. If your core is weak, you have more chances of muscle injuries and back pain.
- Lift Weights - It is very important to incorporate some form of strength training into your routine, especially as you get older. Research has show that weight training helps to strengthen your bones which can then help osteoporosis. Building lean muscle helps increase your metabolism which allows you to burn more calories than fat.
- Don't Compare Yourself to Other People - We all have different body shapes and sizes. Don't demotivate yourself by comparing yourself to others. Instead focus on yourself and the progress you are making.
- Get a Workout Buddy - Find a friend or family member who also wants to get fit and exercise together. You can encourage each other along the way and have fun at the same time.
- Practice Yoga - Doing yoga is a great way to strengthen your muscles, increase flexibility and lose weight. Yoga provides you with a full mind and body workout.
- Follow a Well Rounded Routine - For the best results you shouldn't just do cardio or strength training. Instead you need to do a combination of both.
- Be Patient - This may be easier said than done, but you can't expect results after 1 or 2 workouts. Fitness is something that takes time to achieve and there may be ups and downs along the way. The key is to stick to it!
- Just Get Moving - This may seem like a no-brainer but it really is the 1st step to getting fit. If you haven't worked out in a while, start by simply taking a walk and do this consistently until you build up your fitness. The more you move the fitter you will become and this will motivate you to make fitness a part of your daily routine.