List of Free, Fun, Family Friendly Activities August 9-15 in Downeast Maine
I'm not sure where the summer has gone! It's the 2nd full week of August and gulp, preseason high school sports begin next Monday! Hopefully you are able to take advantage of the list of FREE, FUN and FAMILY FRIENDLY activities in Downeast Maine. Here's a list we have for events and activities taking place the week of August 9th- 15th If you have events that you wish to add, please email them to me at email@example.com.
Monday August 9th
- Ellsworth - Lounge and Listen 3 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Join Miss Renee as she reads a fun chapter book. This event will be held outside, socially distanced, on our lawn. Please bring your own blanket or chair. Ellsworth Public Library. This event will be canceled in the event of bad weather
Tuesday August 10
- Norhteast Harbor -Outdoor Storytime with Ms. Robin 10:30 a.m. Northeast Harbor Public Library
- Bar Harbor - Open Table MDI Take Out Cafe- 4 p.m to 6 p.m. Offering FREE, healthy community meals in Bar Harbor, Maine. These meals are hosted at the Bar Harbor Congregational Church and are open to all.
Wednesday August 11
- Southwest Harbor Public Library - Fledgling Storytime with Miss Amanda at the Wendell Gilley Museum - Room for Loons 10:30 a.m. The Library and the Wendell Gilley Museum are teaming up for a Pre-K storytimes series taking place outside the Museum at 4 Herrick Road, Southwest Harbor. Librarian Amanda Crafts will enchant with songs, stories and art about birds. The program is free but please reserve your space. https://www.wendellgilleymuseum.org/events.
Families get to visit the Gilley afterwards for no charge
- Ellsworth Tai Chi with Healthy Acadia 2 p,m. to 3 p.m. Ellsworth Public Library. These introductory outdoor* workshops provide interactive, social opportunities in a safe setting. Tai Chi helps empower people to improve their health and wellbeing through slow, smooth and continuous mind-body exercises. No tai chi experience is required. The workshops are appropriate and beneficial for people of all ages and physical abilities. Pre-registration is required for the workshops. Click here to register for any or all of these Tai Chi for Health workshops. Face masks are optional for participants who are fully vaccinated against COVID 19. Participants who are not fully vaccinated are required to wear a face mask and maintain physical distancing. For more information, contact Nina Zeldin at (207) 479-1206. Sponsored by Healthy Acadia in partnership with the Ellsworth Public Library. In the event of inclement weather, the workshop will be canceled. Cancellations will be posted on the library’s website and Facebook page by 12:00 p.m. on the day of the workshop.
- Ellsworth - First Congregational Church offers a free take-out meal available between 2:30 and 4 p.m. Please call the church by 3 p.m. on Wednesdays, 667-8321, to reserve a free meal. Enter the Church Street door located diagonally across from the Ellsworth Police Station.
- Northeast Harbor - Melody and Harmony: Nature and Architecture on Mount Desert Island with Willie Granston via Zoom.Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 207-276-3333 to register for this event
- Ellsworth - Outdoor Concert Series Kelley Farm 6 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. Ellsworth Public Library Please bring a blanket or a chair. This program is free and will be held outside on the library’s lawn
- Bar Harbor - Seaside Cinema (Dusk) - Pray for good weather! The Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce presents the 2nd FREE Outdoor movie of the season in Agamont Park. Pack the bug spray, snacks, blankets and lawn chairs and get ready for a great night! This week's movie is "The Secret Life of Pets"
Thursday August 12
- Southwest Harbor , Southwest Harbor Public Library Author Talk - 5:30 p.m - 6:30 p.m- Pretty Rugged: True Stories from Women of the Sea with Author Ali Farrel, fisherman Holly Masterson and more. On the lawn at St. John Church “Pretty Rugged” dives into the gritty lives of females in the commercial fishing industry here in Maine. The book features the true stories of dangerous situations they face on the water, the realities of the fishing lifestyle as well as family histories of generations of Maine fishermen. Farrell will share more information about the book and how it came to be and how the pandemic has affected fishing. Hear from Masterson and other local female fishermen about their experiences and journeys as women making a living from the sea
- Ellsworth - Author Talk 6p.m - 7 p.m Robin Clifford Wood - The Field House. Ellsworth Public Library. This is a virtual event. Click HERE to register
- - Jesup Memorial Library Virtual Author Talk: Brian Armstrong "A History Lover's Guide to Bar Harbor" 7 p.m. - 8 p.m. Bar Harbor has evolved from humble beginnings to become one of Maine’s most popular destinations. This tour goes beyond the typical travel guide to explore its fascinating historical sites in detail. A trail of existing buildings and monuments provides a backdrop for an unconventional history of places, people and events, with many previously unpublished photographs and untold entertaining stories. Discover the changes wrought by the world wars, the Spanish influenza, Prohibition and the Fire of 1947. Tour the Way Bak Ball, La Rochelle, the Casino and the Wharf. From Bar Harbor’s first African American sea captain to the story of the two Miss Shannons, author Brian Armstrong offers a fascinating look into the history behind some of Bar Harbor’s most famous landmarks.
Friday August 13
- Milbridge -Milbridge Theatre Outdoor Stage- Irish Music Night with the Hanz Araki Trio 6:30 p.m. The Hanz Araki Trio are known across New England for their amazing Irish music – both instruments and vocals. They’ll have everyone up and wanting to dance a fun Irish jig! This will be fun for people of all ages – so be sure to bring the kids to enjoy the festive Irish music. Bring a chair or blanket Rain Date Sunday August 15
Saturday August 14
- Ellsworth Public Library - Books and Babies 10:30 to 11 a.m. - Join Miss Cheryl for stories, songs, rhymes, bounces, puppets and more. This event will be held outside, socially distanced, on the Library's lawn. Please bring your own blanket or chair. Event will be cancelled for bad weather
- 57th Annual Winter Harbor Lobster Festival - Schedule of Events
Ellsworth - Knowlton Park's Splash Pad is the place to cool off in Ellsworth!
The restroom facilities are open from 8AM to 9 PM. The changing rooms at Knowlton Park are open as well. Water in the Splash Pad will operate between 10AM and 8PM, everyday, unless the temperature falls below 65, which it will then automatically shut off until the temperature rises again.
Looking for somewhere that's kid friendly and FREE in Bar Harbor to cool off? The place to go is the Glen Mary Wading Pool! The Pool has a maximum depth of 2 feet and is open daily from 10AM to 8 PM. There is no lifeguard on duty, and children under 10 need to be accompanied by someone 14 and over. Pets are not allowed in the fenced in area. Food and beverage is allowed but not in the water. There are changing facilities
The Glen Mary Wading Pool is located at 11 Waldren Road. The easiest way to get there is to go on Park Street and go past the YMCA and cross Ledgelawn Avenue. At the end of the road turn right onto Glen Mary Road. At the end of the road turn left onto Waldren Road.
Handy Phone Numbers
Ellsworth Public Library - 207-667-6363
Southwest Harbor Public Library - 207-244-7065
Northeast Harbor Public Library - 207-276-3333