Free Family-Friendly Events in Downeast Maine August 1- 6
It's the1st week of August and we're getting ready for the dog-days of August, and chances are the kids are bored from being out of school. If you're looking for some family-friendly, fun and free events this week, we have these listings for you!
Tuesday August 1
- Ellsworth Public Library -4-H Family Story Time 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Join for a story in the Riverview Room. Ideal for 3 to 6 year olds.
- Bar Harbor - Jesup Memorial Library - Baby and Toddler Time - 10:30 to 11:15 a.m. Join Abby for fingerplays, songs, and stories! Older siblings are welcome to join in
- Ellsworth Public Library - Computer Tutor - Need help setting up your email or creating a word document? Reserve an appointment with a computer expert. Available 1 p.m to 2:30 p.m. and 3 to 4:30 p.m. Call 667-6363 to reserve your appointment
- Southwest Harbor -Judy Taylor - Painting the Model on the Lawn Demonstration -5:30 p.m. - Join the Southwest Harbor Public Library on the lawn of St. John's Church for a demonstration by Judy Taylor how she lays in a portrait or figure painting using a live model.
Wednesday August 2
- Southwest Harbor Public Library - Baby Story Time 10 a.m.-10:30 a.m. Join Amanda for stories, songs, rhymes, books, bubbles, and more outside in our children's garden. If there is inclement weather, storytime will be held inside the library in the Holmes room. Baby Storytime is designed especially for babies under two years, but we are family friendly and we welcome siblings.
- Bar Harbor - Jesup Memorial Library - Middle School Crafternoon -3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Middle Schoolers: join the Jesup for a laid back crafternoon. Tweens ages 9-13 are welcome. They'll provide the art supplies and you supply the creativity! Snacks will be served. If you have any questions, please contact Abby (email@example.com)
- Northeast Harbor Public Library - Film Screening: Pieces of the World: The Art and Life of Robert S. Neuman 5:30 to 7 p.m.
- Ellsworth Public Library - Frogtown Mountain Puppeteers: Legend of the Banana Kid 6 p.m to 7 p.m. Little Chucky heads to the Wild West to outwit outlaws in this cowboy adventure! With a fistful of bananas Chucky rides into town on his trusty goat for a showdown with Big Bad Bart and his gang of bandits. Recommended audience - 4 and up!
- Bar Harbor - Jesup Memorial Library - Author Talk with Gray Cox: 'Smarter Planet or Wiser Earth? How Dialogue Can Transform Artificial Intelligence into Collaborative Wisdom" 7 to 8 p.m. For more info click HERE
- Ellsworth Concert Band -The concert take place at the gazebo in Harbor Park. The Band practices at 6 p.m. on Wednesday night, followed by the concert beginning at 7 p.m.
- Bar Harbor - Seaside Cinema Missing Link will be shown at 7:58 p.m. in Agamont Park
Thursday August 3
- Ellsworth Public Library - Story Time - For children aged 2 through 5 and their parents or caregivers featuring stories, songs, fingerplays, rhymes, and crafts 10 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. For more information contact Keli at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (207) 667-6363
- Jesup Memorial Library in Bar Harbor - Summer Reading: "Bee a Gardener" with the Bar Harbor Garden Club 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Join the Jesup to learn about gardening and plant something to take home
- Ellsworth Public Library - Author Talk with William Carpenter 6 pm. to 7 p.m. William Carpenter grew up in Waterville. In 1970 he became the College of the Atlantic's 1st faculty member and taught there for 48 years His latest novel is Silence and is about am Iraq War veteran's return to his Maine hometown. For more info click HERE
- Jesup Memorial Library in Bar Harbor - Author Talk with Patti Bender "Happy Landings: Emile Loring's Life, Writing and Wisdom" 7 to 8 p.m. For more information Click HERE
- Bar Harbor Town Band - Will perform at the Village Green from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. In the event of inclement weather, the concert will take place at the First Congregational Church
Friday August 4
- Southwest Harbor Public Library - Family Story Time 10 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Join Ms. Chrissy for stories, songs, rhymes, books, bubbles, and more outside in our children's garden. If there is inclement weather, storytime will be held inside the library in the Holmes room
- Jesup Memorial Library in Bar Harbor - Fairy House Story Time 10:30 a.m.- 11:30 a.m Join Elizabeth for a magical outdoor story time! Read a story together and then build fairy houses. Recommended for ages 3-5
- Ellsworth Public Library - Family Art Project with Michael Albert 2 p.m to 4 p.m. For more info please contact Keli at email@example.com or call 667-6363.
- Southwest Harbor Public Library - Ashley Bryan Family Storytime and Collage Craft 3 to 4 p.m. Registration required The program will feature his work and original collages from his last illustrated book, Blooming Beneath the Sun: Poems by Christina Rossetti. Meet up at the Clark Point Gallery, 46 Clark Point Road - a 4 minute walk from the library - for a closer look at Ashley’s original collage artwork and for a reading of the book by Ms. Amanda. Afterwards, everyone will gather at the library to create collage masterpieces and find out more about Ashley’s life and art from poet and author Carl Little.
- Ellsworth Public Library - Heartstopper Release Party - 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. To celebrate the release of Heartstopper Season 2 on Netflix there will be a release party in the Riverview Room! There will be an array of games and activities such as indoor bowling, trivia, coloring sheets, friendship bracelet making and more! Check out the Heartstopper themed Milkshake Menu where you can get a milkshake based on the characters, as well as enjoy themed cupcakes, pizza, chips and other delicious goodies. For more info click HERE. Designed for teens 13-18
- Southwest Harbor Public Library - Conversations a the Causeway - Writer's Forum with Christina Baker Kine, Gigi Georges and Tara Kelly at the Causeway Club Barn 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. - A writer's forum about Maine as a focus and backdrop for their writing with authors Christina Baker Kline, Gigi Georges and Tara Kelly. For more info Click HERE
- Northeast Harbor Public Library - Author Talk - Alex Prud'homme 5:30 to 6:30 p.m,. Writer Alex Prud'homme will discuss his recent book Dinner with the President For more information click HERE
- Ellsworth Waterfront Concert Series - Chris Ross will be performing at the Gazebo in Ellsworth's Harbor Park at 6 p.m.
- Milbridge - Milbridge Theater and Community Arts Center presents Primo Cubano - Live Cuban Salsa Music and Dance Concert The Milbridge Theatre Outdoor Stage is now located on the waterfront of the Milbridge Town Marina (Bayview Rd. Milbridge)
Saturday August 5
- Ellsworth Public Library - Makerspace Saturday 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Join Miss Renee for a STEAM inspired activity in the Makerspace. This is geared towards children 6 to 12.
- Southwest Harbor Public Library - Acadia Explorers: Location - Library, Theme - Beavers 10 to 11 a.m. For more info CLICK HERE
- Northeast Harbor Public Library - Willie Was Different Children's Concert 10:30 to 11 a.m. Join musicians Christina Spurling and Allison Kiger for a read aloud and musical narration of Willie Was Different by Norman Rockwell. Registration is required
- Ellsworth Public Library - Community Meet and Greet Hosted by "People Who Do Stuff - Ellsworth" 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. “People Who Do Stuff- Ellsworth” is a group of locals who want to spend their free time doing the things they love with other people who love it too! For More Info Click HERE
- Bar Harbor - Jesup Memorial Library - A Performance by Deborah Fortier, Pianist 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. For more info click HERE
Make sure you bring bug spray, chairs and/or blankets to these outdoor activities.
If you have a Free, Family-Friendly activity and want to be listed in these weekly posts, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org