Volunteer Firefighters Needed [VIDEO]
Living on an island is great. I lived on Bermuda, Key Biscayne (Florida) and Block Island, Rhode Island. There's a certain mentality that Islanders develop. But, living on an island comes with responsibility! Residents need to get involved, because there are so few of them! The area fire departments need your help!
You don't have to sign up to be a firefighter that charges into buildings. There are many, many other jobs available. The first step is to talk to someone with your local fire department. Not sure who to talk to? Start with the Chief at each department or call the Town Office.
- Aurora - Chief Deborah Parlman
- Bar Harbor - Chief Matt Bartlett
- Ellsworth - Chief Richard Tupper
- Hancock - Chief Chris Holmes
- Lamoine - Chief Skip Smith
- Mount Desert - Chief Mike Bender
- Southwest Harbor - Chief Tom Chisholm
- Surry - Chief Richard Black
- Swans Island - Chief Robert Gardner
- Trenton - Chief Steve Corson
- Tremont - Chief Keith Higgins
The Southwest Harbor Fire Department posted this video back in 2015. If you are interested in volunteering, please call your local fire department! Training is provided. Fire departments and training have become much more professional since I was a member of the Block Island volunteer fire department back in 1984.
Even if you can't be a full member, fire departments have auxiliaries that you can help with, pancake breakfasts for fundraisers etc. If you want to contribute, they will find a way for you to help!
Firefighting on MDIWant to be a Firefighter on MDI ? This is what it's about! This is what we do! This is what YOU can do! Come talk with us...
Posted by Southwest Harbor Fire Department on Wednesday, December 2, 2015