Opportunistic Waterville Football Beats MDI 26-20 [PHOTOS]
The Waterville Panthers Football Team came to Bar Harbor and beat MDI 26-20 on Friday night, September 16th, taking advantage of MDI's turnovers and blocking a punt. MDI will look at the film of the game and think that they should have won the game if they had done a better job of hanging onto the ball.
Waterville's defense caused 3 MDI fumbles and an interception and their special teams blocked a punt and subsequently scored. Despite the turnovers MDI had a chance to win the game in the 4th Quarter.
Both starting quarterbacks, Spencer Laurendeau for MDI and Wyatt Gradie for Waterville were forced from the game with injuries. Their replacements, Alex Gray (MDI) and Dustan Hunter (Waterville) played well.
Hunter was Waterville's leading rusher, carrying the ball 21 times for 185 yards. Aidan Grant carried the ball 16 times for MDI, rushing for 229 yards.
- 9:37 72 yard run by Aidan Grant. 2 point conversion was good MDI 8 Waterville 0
- 8:03 26 yard pass Gradie to Hunter 2 point conversion was good MDI 8 Waterville 8
- 9:41 34 yard run by Aidan Grant. 2 point conversion no good MDI 14 Waterville 8
- 7:09 28 yard pass Hunter to Gage Hubbard 2 point conversion no good MDI 14 Waterville 14
- 4:00 46 yard run by Dustan Hunter 2 point conversion no good MDI 14 Waterville 20
- 9:34 6 yard pass Hunter to Hubbard 2 point conversion no good MDI 14 Waterville 26
- 6:39 4 yard run by Alex Gray 2 point conversion no good MDI 20 Waterville 26
- Aiden Grant - 16 carries 229 yards
- Alex Gray - 8 carries 60 yards
- Spencer Laurendeau - 10 carries 48 yards
- Jacob Shields - 4 carries 16 yards
- Spencer Laurendeau 2-5 19 yards 1 interception
- Alex Gray - 2-5 44 yards
- Aiden Grant 3 catches 29 yards
- Cal Hodgdon 1 catch 15 yards
- Dustin Hunter - 21 carries 185 yards
- Dawson Harrison - 3 carries 7 yeards
- Tyson Smith - 1 carry 2 yards
- Wyatt Gradie - 3 carries minus 1 yard
- Wyatt Gradie 3-7 68 yards 1 touchdown
- Dustan Hunter 5-10 54 yards 2 touchdowns
- Dustan Hunter - 3 catches 68 yards
- Spencer Minihan - 3 catches 20 yards
- Gage Hubbard - 2 catches 34 yards
MDI is now 1-1. They will play at Yarmouth on Friday, September 23 at 6 p.m.
Waterville is now 3-0. They play at home against Spruce Mountain on Friday, September 23 at 7 p.m.
Thanks to Walter Churchill for the photos.
MDI-Waterville Football September 16 2022
You can nominate someone for the Week 3 High School Athlete of the Week by emailing HERE. Please put High School Athlete of the Week in the subject. Nominations for games September 12-18 need to be received by September 19th. Then tell us why your nominee is deserving! Let us know specifics! How many goals did she/he score? How many yards did they run for? How many yards did they pass for? How fast did they run in the cross country race? What did they shoot in the golf match? We also want to know what school they go to! Please send them by Monday night!
Tuesday we will then compile the nominees and it will be your turn to choose the winner! You can then cast your votes, and voting will close Thursday night at 11:59 p.m. We will then announce the winner online and on air on Friday each week!
We are also looking for reports of High School Soccer, Field Hockey, Football, Volleyball and Golf results. If you can email them HERE we will write recaps nightly. We need the score, who scored the goal, and any highlights. For golf results, if you can send a photo of the scoresheet that would be fantastic! You can even text the photo of the golf scoresheet to 207-469-8660
Best of luck to everyone! Have a great season!