MDI High School Graduation June 7 FAQ’s
Principal Matt Haney sent a email to the Class of 2020 with some important information on Tuesday afternoon, June 2nd. In the hopes of sharing it with parents, and the community, we are posting it below.
June 2, 2020
To the Class of 2020,
Your final week as a high school student has begun! I’m truly looking forward to seeing you in person to help you celebrate your graduation. Now that we’re very near the event, I want to share more detail with you.
- Normally we spend two full mornings rehearsing for graduation. This year, we’ve boiled that down to just 20 minutes this Friday, June 5th. We’re going to have you come to the school by advisory groups so we can walk you through the process of parking, receiving your diploma, having your photos taken, and departing. Here are the times for each advisory group to arrive. Please plan to wear a mask and remain physically distant from one another.
- 10:30 - C Cullens/D Blaney
- 11:00 - B Keefe/T Sullivan/ K Meyer
- 11:30 -D Pappas/ M Smith
- 1:00 - H Mondrach (Podurgiel)/C Johnson
- 1:30 - R Poland/K Eaton
- 2:00 - J Murphy
- .Parking spaces are by reservation only. We don’t anticipate the need for anyone to arrive earlier than 4:00. We will have individuals present to help graduates locate their parking spot.
- At the rehearsal graduates will receive parking passes for the Sunday event. We are able to accommodate anyone who requested an additional parking space. When you come for rehearsal on Friday we will provide you with a parking pass for Sunday. We have a plan for all of our available parking spaces so we cannot allow anyone to attend the ceremony without prior authorization.
- All MDIRSS campuses are currently closed to visitors. In particular, any vehicle that is in the high school parking lot as of 8:00 Sunday morning will be towed to make space for the graduates to participate in the ceremony.
- In order to abide by federal and state guidelines we can not allow any walk up attendees or any vehicles other than those reserved by the graduating seniors.
- Based on feedback from graduates, we will call students forward in their advisory group to receive their diplomas. Students will line up on the left side of the stage, their name will be called, they will cross the stage, pick up their diploma, pause for a photograph, and move across the stage to a designated area to wait for the rest of their group. Once the entire group has their diplomas they will receive a cue to turn their tassels and then return to their vehicles.
- We will have two photographers on site. One will take pictures of the graduate on the stage and at the turning of tassels. The other will work her way through the parking lot and take photos of families.
- There will be portable restroom facilities available during the ceremony. Individuals who need to use the facility should wear a mask and remain physically distant from one another.
- You can listen to the ceremony on WDEA AM 1370. Friends and family may listen around the world by listening to WDEA Internet Radio at https://wdea.am/listen-live/ or by downloading the free WDEA APP www.wdea.am/app from the App store. Anyone who has an Alexa enabled device may listen to WDEA www.wdea.am/alexa.
- You can watch the ceremony live on the MDIHS YouTube page, Trojan TV at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr9ufd3dKGCCus2ua_F6W5Q
- Anyone who is not feeling well should not attend either the rehearsal or the graduation ceremony. Individuals experiencing symptoms consistent with COVID-19 should contact their health care provider.