With much of Downeast Maine without electricity, many Mainers are borrowing generators, or purchasing them to run their furnaces, and to provide some heat in this crisis. Unfortunately, there have been some instances where these generators have not been installed properly, and there are reports of Mainers dieing because of carbon monoxide poisoning.

In addition to the dangers of carbon monoxide, there is a real problem if the generator is plugged into a wall outlet, - known as backfeeding! Backfeeding presents an electrocution risk to line crew, and neighbors served by the same utility transformer. If you are going to use a generator, it's important to have a qualified electrician install it!

Never, ever operate a generator indoors, and this includes a garage, breezeway etc.! Do not operate it near vents or windows where the carbon monoxide can get into the house. If you feel dizzy, have a headache, or nausea, get outside immediately and call 9-1-1!

For more generator safety tips CLICK HERE