Ellsworth’s Football’s Season Comes to an End, Falling to Gray-New Gloucester 45-16
The Ellsworth Eagles' Football Season came to an end on Friday night, October 21st when they fell to the Gray-New Gloucester Patriots in Gray, 45-16.
The Eagles won the opening toss and elected to receive. But on their opening possession, the ball was snapped over Quarterback Thomas Jude's head, with a Patriot recovering in the end zone for a Patriot touchdown. Alexander Henry kicked the point after, and Gray-New Gloucester led 7-0 with just 1:25 gone in the game.
On the next possession Ellsworth was forced to punt. The snap this time was low, and Jude couldn't get the punt off, rolling left and lofting a 80 yard pass that was good for a touchdown. Unfortunately flags were thrown, because Jude had gone past the line of scrimmage before passing. The play was called back, and the Eagles lost the down giving the ball over to the Patriots.
It took just 5 seconds and they were in the end zone, on a 10 yard run by Miles Post. Henry's point after kick was good, and Gray-New Gloucester led 14-0 with 8:37 remaining in the 1st Quarter.
The 1st Quarter pretty much belonged to Gray-New Gloucester. Bray Castrucci scored from 1 yard out with 5:47 left in the Quarter and Henry added another extra point to make it 21-0.
It was 28-0 when Quarterback Michael Ryan scampered for 50 yards with 1:42 left and Henry booted yet another extra point.
Ellsworth got on the scoreboard with 11:23 left in the 1st Half, when Ripley Strout went into the end zone from 5 yards out. The 2-point conversion was good, and Gray-New Gloucester led 28-8.
The Patriots added 1 more touchdown in the 1st Half. With 11;09 they completed a 59 yard pass from Ryan to Castrucci, and Henry's point after made it 35-8.
The final score in the 2nd Half was a safety, when backup Quarterback Mason Downing was tackled in the end zone on another botched snap. The safety made it 37-8, which is how the 1st Half ended.
In the 3rd Quarter Gray-New Gloucester scored with 57.2 seconds remaining on Ryan's 12 yard run. The 2-point conversion was good and that made the score 45-8.
Running time ensued until Ellsworth scored with 3:44 left in the game, with Copelin Temple's 5 yard run. The 2-point conversion was good, and that made the score 45-16
Defensively for Ellsworth Reese Carter had 2 fumble recoveries while Andy Herrick had 1 fumble recovery.
Ellsworth ends the season with a record of 1-6, while Gray-New Gloucester will advance to the playoffs in the South, with a record of 3-4.
- Obrian Robinson - 7 carries 56 yards
- Copelin Temple - 8 carries 46 yards
- Thomas Jude - 10 carries 42 yards
- Jo James-Chin - 3 carries 29 yards
- Ripley Strout - 6 carries 20 yards
- Mason Downing - 1 carry minus 16 yards
- Thomas Jude - 6-20 with 1 interception
- Mason Downing - 3 -5 with 1 interception
- Isiah Corson - 2 receptions 40 yards
- Jo James-Chin - 1 reception 40 yards
- Andy Herrick - 4 receptions 39 yards
- Mason Downing - 1 reception 6 yards
- Ripley Strout - 1 reception 6 yards
Gray New-Gloucester Stats
- Michaael Ryan - 5 carries 82 yards
- Brady Castrucci - 7 carries 55 yards
- Miles Post - 6 carries 42 yards
- Dillon Young - 3 carries 22 yards
- David Black - 4 carries 20 yards
- Kaine Karol - 2 carries 7 yards
- Kobi Conant - 5 carries 2 yards
- Michael Ryan - 2-3 66 yards 1 touchdown
- Brady Castrucci - 1 reception 59 yards
- Benjamin Powell - 1 reception 7 yards.