7 Hancock County Students to Compete in Maine State GeoBee
Seven Hancock County students will be competing in the Maine State GeoBee which will be held March 29th at the University of Maine Farmington. Students will be competing for a top prize of $1000 and a trip to Washington DC for the National Championship.
The winner of the State GeoBee will compete in Washington DC May 19-22 at the National Geographic Society Headquarters. The winner will receive a $25,000 college scholarship, $1000 in cash, a lifetime membership in the National Geographic Society, and a trip to the Galapagos Islands. 2nd and 3rd place winners will receive a $10,000 and $5,000 college scholarship respectively and $1000 in cash.
The 2018 Maine winner was Colin Aponte from Blue Hill.
The 2019 Hancock County contestants are:
- Cameron Evans -7th grade- Bucksport Middle School
- Nathan Kimball - 8th grade - Cave Hill Elementary
- Andrew Hipsky - 8th grade - Blue Hill Consolidated School
- Kasch Warner - 7th grade - Conners-Emerson School
- Rebecca Aponte - 6th grade - Blue Hill Homeschoolers
- Mackenna McDevitt - 6th grade - Hancock Grammar School
- Teddy Dickson-Smith - 7th grade - Peninsula School
To see a full list of the Maine competitors click HERE