The State Fire Marshal's office is reporting two serious injuries over the New Year's holiday due to fireworks. Both injuries landed the men in the hospital.

Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland says one incident happened in Minot, where Joseph Chandler, age 62, was injured outside his home when a re-loadable fireworks mortar exploded in his hand. Chandler lost a thumb and finger. Fire investigators said he likely had put the fireworks shell in backwards. He's being treated at Central Maine Medical Center.

In Milo, 23-year-old Kiel Larson also suffered a serious hand injury in a similar incident. Like the case in Minot, a re-loadable fireworks mortar exploded in Larson's hand. He's being treated at Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor.

State Fire Marshal Joe Thomas says consumers need to closely follow the manufacturer's operating instructions when using fireworks and all fireworks purchased in Maine come with those guidelines. Thomas also said alcohol and fireworks can be a dangerous combination and consumers intending to use them should abstain from drinking.