Fatal Fire in Hermon Caused By Child Using Stove
The State Fire Marshal’s Office says last week’s fire in Hermon that killed a 9-year-old boy was caused by one of the children in the home cooking on the kitchen stove.
A pizza box was ignited by one of the gas stove’s burners and the fire has been ruled accidental, according to a news release from the Maine Department of Public Safety.
The fire claimed the life of Wyatt Parker of Levant.
Although Fire Marshal Investigators could not find a working smoke detector, the 10-year old girl who survived the fire said she heard one.
The girl was treated for smoke inhalation and has now been released from the hospital.
The fire broke out on July 7 as the two adults were away from the home doing errands.
Fire Marshals say because of the death, their investigative report will be submitted to the district attorney’s office for review, once it is completed.