Save Your Pets And Dispose Of Destroying Angel Mushrooms Now
We've noticed these sprouting up a lot lately here in Maine, Destroying Angel mushrooms, and if your pet eats one it very well could kill them, and fast.
Amanita virosa, or Destroying Angel mushrooms, are loaded with toxins that will cause liver and kidney failure in dogs when ingested. There is no definitive antidote, but if caught early enough one could manage the symptoms.
Apparently these mushrooms are appealing to both cats and dogs because of their "fishy odor." They thrive in wet conditions, and it's finally been raining around here lately.
Some of the early symptoms include vomiting and diarrhea. So if you notice this then get your pet to the veterinarian immediately. A dog that consumes one of these mushrooms could go from being healthy to being dead within 24 to 48 hours.
The best thing to do is to take notice of these mushrooms and then eradicate them fully before your animals get anywhere near them. Pull them up by their roots and dispose of them properly.
If you're unsure of what they look like then pull up every mushroom that you see. Leave nothing behind, because they're POISON. Remember to wash your hands when done handling them.