The State Medical Examiner determined that an elderly couple who perished in a fire over the weekend died of smoke inhalation. A passerby reported the fire and was able to save the couple's dogs, but couldn't get to the owners.

Department of Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland said Eugene and Virginia Dyer died in the fire that was reported around 11 p.m. Saturday night. Fire investigators say it appears the fire started in a storage area between the house and garage, but the damage was too extensive to determine an exact cause. However, officials say there's no indication that the fire was anything other than accidental.

The State Fire Marshal's office says 12 people have died from fire in Maine this year.