Why is Friday the 13th Bad Luck?
If you're one of those people who avoid traveling, going to work, eating in a restaurant or signing important documents on Friday the 13th, you have paraskevidekatriaphobia. There is no need to call the doctor. It means a fear of Friday the 13th. Here are some superstitions about Friday:
- Never change your bed on a Friday as it will give you bad dreams.
- If you start a trip on a Friday, you'll have misfortune.
- Cut your nails on a Friday and you cut them for sorrow.
- If ships set sail on a Friday, they will have bad luck.
- Friday is the witches' Sabbath.
Here are some superstitions about the number 13:
- 13 is the Devil's Dozen.
- Should 13 people eat dinner together, all will die within the year.
- Just as many buildings don't have a 13th floor, going right from 12 to 14, many cities don't have a 13th Street or 13th Avenue.
- If you have 13 letters in your name, you will have the devil's luck. Don't believe it? Count the letters in these infamous names: Jack the Ripper, Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, Theodore Bundy and Albert De Salvo.
- There are 13 witches in a coven.
It's bad luck to:
- Begin a new job or a trip
- Cut off both ends of a loaf of bread
- Flip your mattress
- Put new shoes on the table
- Leave your hat on the bed
- Walk under a ladder
- Pour water on a windowsill
- Plant potatoes
- Lean a broom on a bed
- Open an umbrella indoors
- Do housework
- Wear new clothes
- Cut your hair
- Sneeze to your left side
- Have a black cat cross your path