Fire Officials Release Cause Of Deadly Ellsworth House Fire
The State Fire Marshal's Office says Tuesday's fire death in Ellsworth took place when the victim's clothing caught fire inside his home, the Department of Public safety said in a news release Wednesday.
Investigators say 93-year-old Roice Saunder's clothing caught fire as he was boiling water on his gas stove in the kitchen, the release said.
His body was found about six feet away in the living room and investigators say he likely was attempting to reach for the phone to call for help when he was overcome.
The blaze on Surry Road was reported before 11 a.m. Fire damaged was confined to the living room.
Fire Marshals say this was the fourth fire death this year.